Friday, July 4, 2008

Dipping my toes in the water - rose water that is...


We've been in our home since March of 2006, and I've been steadily increasing my gardens from a neglected square of scorched earth left by the previous owners to going on seven 'rooms' of perennial gardens. I've had some successes - daylily - and some failures - a lovely fire orange azalea that I'm still hoping to save. And this year I've decided to dip my toes in the rose-water. Yes, I'm going to attempt to grow roses in my decidedly quirky zone 5b landscape. I waited until the end of season sales from the catalogs to make my purchases, so they probably won't bloom this year, but there is always next year.

So what am I trying? Two varieties purchased from Wayside Gardens; Rose Climbing Night Owl PPAF pictured above (picture from a cached wayside gardens site), and Rose Moonlight . My thought was the variation in the colors, dark purple and cream respectively, would be interesting.

I'm still trying to figure out what I'll displace, as the full sun spots are all currently engaged with plants. Longer term, I know at least the climber will go by the - to be built - deck out back. Until it's built, it wouldn't be a good idea to plant things there, construction and all. Well, I can dream that there will be construction soon. We did after all buy the double patio door/venting sidelights today. So I suppose we will do something out back even if it is just to prop up the beautiful door and say - oh how nice that will be when it's installed... But I digress.

Truthfully I didn't realize that climbers would take up so much space. I bought three of each plant. Now I need to find them homes. As I type they are soaking in water - in preparation for planting tomorrow - they are going in somewhere. I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

You could always give me one!

Brebbie Mom said...

I have an extra rose moonlight - its planted, but could happily come live in swampscott.

Local Nurseries I've used

Followers