Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Rain, Rain and more rain

Its been raining off and on for 3 days now, which normally, I would love - water being good for the gardens and good for my water bill, but not this time; I'm on vacation.

Being a 2-working-parent household with small children, there is never enough time in the day, or weekend, for various bits of neglected housework, yardwork, or even self maintenance. I am often just getting going on a project when someone starts to cry...whine...or otherwise need my attention. Sometimes I just wish I had a day, hour, 15 minutes to myself -- house time, garden time, me time. Thats what this vacation was to be - catch up time. Now you should know that we aren't 'big' vacation people. We vacation at our house, and the kids still are too young to know that most people 'go' places during their vacation. I figure I have one more good year before my son discovers Disney is more than a store in a mall or a title before a movie. I am milking it.

I saw this vacation as a couple of solid days of 'if only' I had an hour time. Kids go to daycare - heck, I'm paying for it - and I can get some stuff DONE time! I was happily planning to use the first couple of days off (and I don't count the weekend - we still had the kids) to do some post maternity shopping and then get the neglected yardwork done - and since I enjoy yardwork - I saw this as goodness. Twisted I know. But so much for my plans. It has rained every day this week. A recap:

Monday I was on target: I went shopping at the mall sans children! I felt guilty that I was actually alone (see above; kids at daycare) for about 5 minutes. Then the shopping gene kicked in. I bought some clothes that don't have spit up blended into the fabric, some slacks that haven't been stretched out in the belly, and finally I picked up some non-mommy bras (Sorry I digress off my topic but really! This is big!) and some pretty underwear! My husband has just about forgotten that I can wear underwear that is neither white, cotton, nor hole-y. It started to rain in the afternoon, so no yardwork.

Tuesday morning I got my oil changed -- it had been 8500 miles since the last one - another casualty. Then in the afternoon the rain really kicked in, and I missed my weeding window. I had hoped to attack my weedgardens and actually spread some mulch in the afternoon - but no luck. I read a book instead and did laundry - and decided to actually put it away instead of perennially getting dressed from baskets.

Hoping the rain would abate Wednesday, I decided to delay the lake by a day.

Wednesday dawned raining. Crud. Balanced the checkbook (sorta - I'm 9.80 off). Hubby, also vacationing - had planned to start the construction this week, but that's another post - decided he had had enough waiting for good weather and weeded the worst of the gardens and mulched from the enormous pile of pepperell dpw mulch (see my earlier post) still sitting in my front yard in the drizzle. Amazingly he did manage to mulch several gardens before it really started to pour thanks to the remnants of hurricane Dolly.

Wednesday afternoon, and I get a call from daycare, my son is running a temp and has been 'emotional' all day - read: clingy. Hubby volunteers to get the champ home. Fast forward a half hour; my son has upchucked 4x at daycare and his fever has spiked to 102.

So this is where I am; Wednesday night with a sick kid, rain predicted for Thursday and no gardening of note accomplished, vacation more than half gone. Monday morning work yawning like a black hole...

Oh well. Looking back, I did get alot done - just not in the garden. On the bright side, there will always be weeds to pull - even if I had gotten to it, there would just be more next week. Isn't that what August is about? Now the weatherchannel is predicting the return of sun accompanied by hot and humid on Friday -- so we'll head off we go to the lake (baby boy is asking for food already, so he's in recovery) - early in the morning. So it really is all good, after all, nothing can be that bad when you're wearing pretty new undies.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Lame...I want to hear about your garden, not your oil change! I've gardened in the mist before (okay, drizzle, but mist sounds more romantic) -- though that probably explains the bizarre looks the neighbors were giving me?

So when are you throwing a "New Door Party"?

Unknown said...

Dude, when are you going to update this blog? I'm bored already!

Local Nurseries I've used

Followers