Sunday, July 6, 2008

Plant and replant/Blooming July 6th 2008



Without my son clamoring for our attention, as he was happily off for the better part of the weekend to his grandparents lakeside retreat, my husband and I set to work on some long neglected yardwork (Yes this was our holiday wknd -- we're twisted I know). Hubby loves to use weed-b-gone (no herbicide free zone here -- I know, I know) and was in his glory this weekend, alhough I did ban the spraybottle from the borders. In between her naps, we brought the baby out to watch mum and dad work weeding, mowing and trimming the lawn, spreading mulch and trimming back the verge. Since we live on nearly an acre of what was kindly labeled by the realtor as a wooded lot, but in reality was a vision of what the world looked like when the pilgrims came, very - shall we say - natural, trimming is a neverending battle, but that's another post.

In the midst of these chores, I did manage to find homes for the climbing roses (at the mailbox, in front of the house by the porch and front of the barn/garage) and two syringa sensation lilacs that I got on sale from WG in their end of season B1G2 free - yes thats right - 3 for the price of one. I gave one to my neighbor, who is a huge fan of lilacs, she was thrilled. The other two went to the back of my front border, as it will be a few years before they get tall enough to be a nuisance.

Of course, finding homes for these full sun plants was a job in and of itself. It made me rethink a location or two. As a result of the rethinking, I moved three shasta daisy plants that I had only just planted this spring, as well as some siberian iris that I moved last fall. Both sets of plants were doing ok where they were, but could do better. Given that I had a wet spot under a leaky gutter that would suit little but the Sib. iris - there they went. The daisy suffered late blooming for being behind a few other plants (tall mums and more shasta daisy) so they got their own space and should be happier for the move next year. They are drooping now, but are a hardy bunch and should survive.

Finally, I cut back most of the bearded iris amidst the weeding frenzy, and now feel comfortable posting a picture of the front border garden. The daylillies are about to pop, and so it isn't yet at peak, but at least its green (above).

The front yard (Southfacing) I'm nearly satisfied with - but the great/terrible thing about gardening is that you're never quite finished, and on our property there's always... the backyard (insert sinister theme music here)....

Our property backs up to the Nashua River, and though we've tamed about 50% of our property (formerly the wooded lot) since we moved in, the rest (the West and Northwest portion) is still very much wooded. Someday I will go after the other 50% - create paths, points of interest on the way down to the water. It is a lovely view. I have posted a picture to prove it from a kayak float last September.

Until next time, here's whats blooming this week:

Orange daylilies -- most of them popped this week, the yellow just popped yesterday.
Coreopsis verticulata and ...
Shasta daisies - all - in full bloom.
Clematis ... just set bloom this week.
The echinecea just began to pop - next week the front gardens should be in full bloom.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Curse you big sis -- your site already looks 10x better than mine. You'll have to show me how to use my camera!

Brebbie Mom said...

Sooooo not true.

Local Nurseries I've used

Followers